Winter time is when we should take extra care of our car. We rely on it to get us places regularly, and would not like to be left out in the cold, literally….
- First Aid Kit – You should always have a first aid kit in your vehicle, no matter what the time of year it is. However, during the winter months it is a good idea to re-stock and add a few extras that may come in handy. A water bottle will come in handy if you find yourself needing to defrost your windscreen after work. Perhaps a blanket in the boot may come in handy if you find yourself stuck in some bad traffic. An ice-scraper may also be needed in some parts of the country on frosty mornings.
- Under the Hood – Your regular servicing may fall outside the winter months, so it may be a good idea to get an additional check during this time to check out your belts and hoses. Just to ensure they will make it through the colder period. The last thing you want is to be without your car for a few days and reliant on public transport in the cold.
- Wiper Blades – Winter is the time you will notice most if your wiper blades need replacing. While you are arranging for this to be done, check out your washer bottle at the same time. There is nothing worse than finding out your wiper blades are worn when you are driving in heavy rain.
- Tyres – How is the tread on your tyres? Is it time for some or all of them to be replaced? Good tyres are key to being safe on the road anytime of the year, but especially in the winter months when the road surface is wet.
- Battery – Have your mechanic check your battery. They will check not only its charge, but the connections. A loose connection can mean the battery will not work, in turn, neither will your car. A very quick and low cost check can save you from being stuck with a car not starting.